Classical Mechanics with Maxima Resource Page
This page provides links to electronic resources to accompany Classical Mechanics with Maxima. The book shows students how to use the computer algebra system Maxima to solve problems in classical mechanics. The material aligns well with topics usually covered in an intermediate mechanics course, but there are additional topics covered that take full advantage of the computational capabilities provided by Maxima. The resources below serve as a supplement to the book and should allow users to use the book more effectively, or extend their knowledge of Maxima beyond the topics covered in the book.
- Links for Classical Mechanics with Maxima by Timberlake and Mixon
- Springer web site for the book
- AnnotatedCode: (a zip archive containing the Maxima code files for the book, but with annotations and some additional material, including a notebook describing how to export graphics from Maxima)
- Review of the book in Computing in Science & Engineering
- Instructors who have adopted the book for class use can request solutions to the exercises by emailing email@example.com.
- Links to other Maxima resources
- Liouville’s Theorem and ODE Algorithms (Summer 2016 AAPT meeting)
- Exploring the Chaotic Pendulum with the Maxima CAS (Winter 2017 AAPT meeting)