A Statistical Analysis Package for Students
Stats Homework is a statistical analysis system that was designed and written for students who are enrolled in introductory statistics courses. It is not designed to compete with professional packages such as SPSS®; it was designed to facilitate students’ engagement and learning in their introductory statistics courses (click here for more information).
Stats Homework is very easy to use. It utilizes a simple approach to data-management, and a simple series of menus to specify basic statistical analyses. Students can conduct statistical analyses with very little time spent learning to use this software. In addition, when students conduct analyses with this software, they are provided with rich outputs that can be used to verify and correct their hand-written work.
Thus, this software is ideal for students to use after they have conducted statistical analyses by hand (i.e., homework in their statistics classes). Once they have completed their hand-written analysis, they can quickly enter their data into this software and verify their results. If they have made any mistakes, the output of this software can provide them with information that will help them track down their errors.
This program is written in Java, and it should run on any computer that has the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed. If you do not have Java on your system, you can download the JRE for free from: java.com.
Click the link below to download the Stats Homework program. You will find some brief installation instructions here.
Documentation can be accessed by pulling down the help menu in Stats Homework, or by clicking the link below. If you have any trouble downloading or running this software, please let me know.
Current Release: November 19, 2018:
Recent additions/changes to Stats Homework:
- The scatter plot routine now includes an option to draw a time-series plot.
- Now the Histogram procedure also produces frequency polygons.
- Recent chart additions: the grouped bar chart, the stacked bar chart, and the mosaic plot.
- I’ve added the Games-Howell multiple-comparison procedure as an option to the one-factor ANOVA procedure.
- I’ve added a permutation test for multiple comparisons.
- The stem-and-leaf plot will now display two variables back-to-back.
- It’s now easier to change font and font size in the output window.
- The data manager will now better display data and flag data-entry errors.
- There are now three utility programs that will illustrate areas under the normal, Chi Square, and F distributions. The routine for illustrating normal distribution problems is also available as a stand-alone program (click here for more information).
- There are now routines for illustrating statistical power using the normal, F, and Chi-Squared distributions (click here for more information).
- There are now routines to count combinations and permutations, and to list all possible combinations.
- There is now a procedure for generating sampling distributions from a variety of different population distributions (click here for more information).
- On several of the permutation tests (e.g., the permutation test for two independent samples) there are now routines for you to output the permutations of data to an external file.
Special Note: I would like to acknowledge the support and guidance of two colleagues who have been invaluable in improving Stats Homework, Dr. Robert Hayden and Dr. Chris Olsen. Their feedback has guided me to significantly improve the input and output of many of the procedures that instructors and students will use in their courses. These changes have greatly enhanced the usability of this software, and I’m grateful for their help.
If you are interested in using this software, I could really use your help. In particular, I would very much like some instructors and their students to use this software in the coming semesters and to provide me with feedback on how to improve the software and its documentation.
If you are interested, please contact me:
Victor Bissonnette, Ph.D. Berry College Box 5019 Mount Berry, GA 30149 706-290-2154 email@example.com
Stats Homework is free to students and instructors. This software may never be sold for profit or provided as part of a larger package. This software is distributed “as is” without any warranty of any kind. In no event will Victor L. Bissonnette or Berry College be liable for any damages caused by the use or misuse of this software package.